Mommy makeovers are growing in popularity as many women seek to return their body to a more toned and tightened appearance after pregnancy. However, one of the main concerns women ask about when considering these procedures is what to expect when it comes to mommy makeover scars and how they can reduce scarring after a mommy makeover.
Incision Locations Depend on Your Procedures
Anytime there is trauma to your body, such as a cut, the body activates its natural healing process. While a simple cut may leave no noticeable scarring, a surgical incision is more likely to create a noticeable scar. A mommy makeover is a unique cosmetic surgery procedure in that it combines multiple different procedures, such as a tummy tuck, liposuction, and breast augmentation or lifts, so where your scars are will depend on the different procedures you choose. Examples of scar locations include:
- Breast augmentation or lift – Breast enhancement procedures, whether that is a breast lift or breast implants, involve incisions around the areola and into the breast crease.
- Tummy tuck – A tummy tuck incision typically runs from one hip to another but is placed below the bikini line.
- Liposuction – In most cases, liposuction requires a small incision in the area being treated, however, if paired with a tummy tuck, liposuction is often done through the same incision.
A skilled surgeon uses techniques during your mommy makeover procedure designed to minimize scarring.
Steps to Promote Optimal Healing and Reduce the Appearance of Scarring
While the experience of your surgeon and their techniques can affect your scar appearance, aftercare also plays a big role in how your incision heals and scars develop. After your mommy makeover, your surgeon will provide you with after care instructions that will also address specific incision care. This can include how to clean the incision, topical creams or silicone sheets to apply to the incision after closing, and activities to avoid during your recovery, such as incision exposure to the sun’s UV rays.
If you are considering a mommy makeover and don’t know what procedures to choose or are worried about potential scar appearance, the team at Hamilton Surgical Arts is here to answer all of your questions. Call the office today at (317) 773-6677 to schedule a consultation and learn how we can help you achieve your body contouring goals.
- Finding the Right Time for Your Mommy Makeover
- How Long Should You Wait to Have a Mommy Makeover?
- Why Cooler Months Can Be the Ideal Time for a Mommy Makeover